Maybe it’s this very chilly weather or the fact that I am preggo with baby #3, but I was in the mood for some ‘stick to your ribs’ type of food albeit a healthy version of comfort food! This recipe kind of came up on a whim so I hope you will indulge me and if I do say so myself it was easy, taste fantastic and a crowd pleaser. I personally love that this recipe is filled with healthy complex carbs, and lean mean protein!
Something I really try hard to do is make my recipes quick, easy and attainable. I have a family and in general I dread to spend more than 20 min making just about anything! I like things quick, healthy and family friendly. Most all of my recipes are dairy free but can easily be converted to dairy if preferred. So although this recipe may take a bit over my 20 min total mark I think it is well worth a try.
So lets get to the ingredients list!
- 1 lb of Organic Ground Turkey
- 1/4th Large Sweet Onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic chopped depending on taste
- 1C Sprouted Quinoa
- 2.5C water
- 2.5 tsp of better than Bouillon Vegetarian
- 5 Large Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1/4th chopped Cauliflower
- 3 Roma Tomatoes chopped
- 4-5 whole large assorted colored Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup of Egg Whites
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- 1TBS organic Salted Butter or Earth Balance Vegan
- (optional) Organic Shredded Cheese or a Vegan Cheese option
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees and spray a 9×13 with coconut oil (or other).
- Saute onions in butter then add garlic when soft.
- Add Organic Turkey and add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (I also love onion powder). Cook till browned and completely cooked. Add tomatoes and let rest.
- At the same time you can have your Quinoa mix starting in a sauce pan on high with 2.5 cups of water, bouillon, chopped mushrooms and chopped cauliflower and cook approximately 15 min. When this starts to boil put on simmer till soft and most of the water has evaporated.
- Slice your peppers lengthwise and gut and place in pan.
- Mix everything together in large bowl (except peppers) or pan and pour the egg whites over the mix to add some extra protein and “stick-toit-iveness” so to speak. Mix together.
- Place the sliced peppers on your 9×13 and fill with mix. After you have filled all the peppers use the extra mix to stuff all around the peppers. It kind of resembles a Lasagna in a way. Then I smooth it all out with a spatula.
- Add your shredded organic cheese or non-dairy cheese in a thin layer if desired.
*Place in preheated oven and cook for 20-30 min including a little 5 min broiler action to get that cheese nice and browned. If you are not following the tip below you may want to cook for 45-60 min until peppers are a desired softness!
*Tip: to hasten the cook time on the peppers I put them in the microwave for approximately 5-10 min until partially softened. Having 2 hungry babes at my feet I had to think quick if you know what I mean.
From my home to yours I hope you enjoy this abundant fit recipe! May it nourish and fullfill <3